Saturday, January 14, 2012

Reading List 2012

Well, I am going to try this again.  This whole "setting goals that I would like to accomplish by the end of the year" thing.  I don't know if you recall, but last year I created a very doable book list for myself to read in 2011, and I regret to inform you that I did NOT finish the books on that list.  I did, however, read many others!  So, is it really that bad? As I stated last year, I am very up and down with my reading.  Some months I don't even pick up a book whereas other months I can't help myself.  Surprisingly, this past summer is when I read the most, and those were the craziest months for us because we had just had Stella.  So, I really have no excuses for not reading more than I do.  I do hope to get on the ball and make some progress!

I have a feeling that I will add to my list as the year goes on, but I thought I would share with you the books that I hope to read and reread this coming year.

1.  The Chronicles of Narnia



Yes, I know.  My head is hung in shame.  I have never read the entire collection by C.S. Lewis.  I think, I think that i have read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  But, maybe I am just confusing it with the movie that I remember watching as a child.  Just before Christmas I ordered myself a cheap paperback book set that contains all of them, and so far I have read The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  And, I must say that I am hooked.  I can't wait to begin book three: The Horse and His Boy.

2.  Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick



I have heard wonderful things about this book and it's impact on those who have read it.  Grace is something I need to be reminded of and need instruction on how to portray to my children.  I just got this one in the mail and am hoping that maybe a few friends and I can read it alongside each other as a means of accountability to finishing the book.  I'm pumped about this one and can't wait to see the fruit of it in our lives.

3.  One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp



Again, this is one that I know tons of people have read. I have been hearing about this book over and over just about everywhere.  On Facebook, on different blogs I read, from many friends who've already read it.  I have just started reading this one two days ago and already I am really liking it.  Ann Voskamp is a very gifted writer and tells a very personal story of how God revealed himself to her in a way that changed her life.  I've only gotten a few chapters in but my thoughts have already been greatly challenged. 

4.  Transforming Grace by Jerry Bridges



Jerry Bridges is my John Piper.  For those of you who don't know, JB is obSESSED with John Piper.  Loves him.  Reads him effortlessly.  Listens to him.  I mean, our son's middle name is Piper.  Catch my drift?  I love Piper too.  However, when I read Johnny Pipes, I have to have lots of caffeine, a highlighter, and a dictionary.  I usually have to read things a few times to truly get the gist of what he says.  When I listen to him giving a sermon, I find him easier to follow, but reading most of his books is good, hard work for me.  Jerry Bridges is just as deep and profound of a writer, but I click with his writing-style much easier than I do Piper.  He's my fav!  Jonathan is currently reading this book called Transforming Grace and is really loving it.  He thinks I should read it, so I am putting it on my list.  Seriously love me some Jerry Bridges!


Books to Reread:

1.  Trusting God by Jerry Bridges


I read this last year right before a very close friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer.  It was so beneficial to my spiritual walk to have just read about God's goodness, God's wisdom, and God's sovereignty.  I think this is a classic that I will read and read again all throughout my life.  I refer back to it often.

2.  Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp



A definite favorite parenting book.  It really cuts to the heart of training and caring for our children.

3.  The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



I read this entire series in an embarrassing fashion.  I couldn't put it down!  The first book is being made into a movie set to be released this Spring, I believe, and I would like to reread the first book before seeing the movie so I can be refreshed on the plot and see how the book compares to the film.  I'm weird like that!


Ok, I am going to stop now.  That is a very sizable list right there, and I tend to be an overachiever at making lists.  I think this is plenty of material to get me started, and knowing myself, I will be doing well to get half of these read.  But, for the sake of throwing it out there, I deep down would like to read a book a month.  That's 12 books this year!  I have read two so far (Narnia books), and I have started One Thousand Gifts.  Maybe I can pull it off with the help of discipline and the Spirit's motivation.  I hope that I can grow in the love and discipline of reading, and I truly desire to see lots of fruit from all of the wonderful wisdom these books hold.  Who knows, maybe I'll be able to shoot a bow and arrow like Katniss by the end of the year!  I kid, I kid. 

No comments: